Monday, June 02, 2008

Microsoft's Source Analysis Tool for C#

Microsoft released a Source Analysis tool for C# last friday. It is released under Ms-PL License and can be found at MSDN Code Gallery (Source Analysis 4.2)

Source Analysis covers around 200 best practises and rules around code formatting including line spacing, placement of brackets, file and method headers for documentation and many more. This blog covers more details and future plans for this tool.

One of the rule which draw my interest and made me 'google' around is the 'using' directive ordering rule:

source1

I haven't heard many people recommending this as a good practise and hence I started searching around, trying to find when this rule could be useful.

On my search I came across this interesting blog post by Eric Lippert. The comments in this post also has couple of scenarious when this could be used.

No comments:

AddIn